Moving Through Fear with John Harradine
In this episode, John Harradine -Psychotherapist, and my Uncle, talks to us about moving through fear during times of uncertainty, like now, during the COVID-19 Pandemic, and provides us with practical tools to help us live our best and bravest life.
- John tells us about his life and how he is now living his passion in helping others find their path in the world.
- John talks about the 2 diffrerent kinds of Brave, an Internal Brave and an External Brave and how these differ from each other and how we can identify with them.
- Questions are raised on how we can be brave. How do we own our bravery in the way we approach our life?
- John helps us understand how we can begin to feel comfortable in the unknown, to key, is letting go of control. John talks about how we can learn to let go of control and instead of taking charge of our lives and how to live through the unknown.
- We talk about self-trust. How can we learn to trust ourselves, even in uncertain times such as the COVID-19 Pandemic. Trusting yourself is the precursor to living in the unknown. And it’s ok to sit with our mistakes, our failures, and our blessings. Through our broken pieces, we are able to be whole.
- John gives us great practical tools to help us live in our current world of the unknown, such as: Asking ourselves not what we can do, but how can I be. What do I know about myself, What do I trust, not trust, how do I embrace my fears? How do I use my intuition to help us move through this unknown period?
- John also talks about Neuroscience and how our brain works and the patterns we learn over our life and how to break through our patterns.
John’s top tips for Moving Through Fear.
Breathing 4 x 4 x 4
Breath in on the count of 4, hold for the count of 4, breath out for the count of 4. This can be done at any time, in any place, where ever one is feeling anxious, stressed or in a situation where they can feel tension in their body.
Free Form Writing
Using a pen and paper, write, just write, and then once you have allowed yourself to get out what you need to say, rip it up and throw it away and then you can start again. This helps us get our fear and anxiety out of our bodies.
Understanding Self Talk
Understanding self-talk and the impacts that negative self-talk has on us. We need to be soft on ourselves. Catch yourself when you find yourself speaking to yourself in a negative way and turn it around and into a positive one.
Finding small experiences in your life
Utilizing small experiments, and trying something new, will help us to suspend judgment of ourselves and to learn how to switch our own self-talk.
Be Patient with ourselves
How to connect with John
Thank you so much for tuning into When we are BRAVE.
If you liked this episode of When we are BRAVE, then SUBSCRIBE and REVIEW the show. Reviews and Subscriptions help podcasts get out into the world of podcasts and are greatly appreciated.
So my friends, until next time – be brave and keep moving through fear to live your best life.
For more inspiration check out my book Brave Enough Now, an inspirational Story of self-discovery, survival and hope.